John Elway has no plans to blow up the machine -- not yet, at least.
Denver's football czar announced Monday that he's sticking with embattled coach Vance Joseph as the Broncos slide into their bye week at a troubling 3-6.
"At this point in time, we're going to stay the course," Elway told KDSP-AM in Denver, per the station's Andrew Mason. "I think there's enough good things that are going on as far as us and the way that we're playing ... I'm much more encouraged this year than I was last year."
After quarterback Case Keenum hit tight end Jeff Heuerman on a 5-yard dart to the Houston 32 with roughly 30 seconds remaining, Denver's offense huddled before handing the ball off to Phillip Lindsay for a 1-yard loss. The Broncos then settled for a timeout with three ticks left to set up their game-losing boot -- but Elway is fine with all of that.
"The last thing we wanted to [do] was make a mistake and go backwards," Elway said. "In that situation we were there and we didn't want to take any chances."
Sunday's ugly loss aside, it's unlikely Joseph sticks around past this season. The defense has regressed, while the offense -- not entirely Joseph's fault -- lacks a true franchise quarterback.