Philadelphia Eagles tight end Zach Ertz told reporters Monday he has been medically cleared to return to the team after suffering a displaced rib in their Week 1 victory over the Cleveland Browns. Ertz had six catches for 58 yards in that contest, which he made it through even after suffering the injury.
Ertz has improved upon his numbers each year since entering the NFL in 2013. Ertz passed Brent Celek on the depth chart heading into the season and was a clear favorite of his rookie quarterback in their opener.
Here are some other injuries we are tracking Monday:
- There was no update regarding the status of Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, who left Sunday's loss to the Falcons to be evaluated for a concussion, coach Ron Rivera said. Rivera said linebacker Thomas Davis (hamstring) told him he would be fine, though Rivera hadn't talked to the trainers about him yet.
- Falcons linebacker Sean Weatherspoon tore his Achilles tendon and is out for the season, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, according to a person who has spoken with the player.
- Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer (concussion) wasn't out at the portion of Cardinals practice that is open to the media, NFL Network's Omar Ruiz reported. Drew Stanton would start Thursday against the 49ers if Palmer can't go and the team signed quarterback Zac Dysert off their practice squad Monday. Cardinals coach Bruce Arians painted a slightly more optimistic picture on Palmer when talking to reporters Monday, saying Palmer doesn't need practice reps to be able to play.
"Trevor is our starting quarterback," Kubiak said, according to the Denver Post. "Hopefully he's going to be OK ... We feel fortunate with Trevor. We'll be day-to-day here."
- Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis has a mild hamstring strain, coach Todd Bowles said. It is too early to tell on his availability for Sunday, Bowles added.
- The 49ers confirmed that star linebacker NaVorro Bowman suffered a season-ending Achilles injury and was placed on injured reserve.
- Raiders tight end Lee Smith suffered a fractured bone in his lower leg in Oakland's win in Baltimore, Rapoport reported, per a source. It threatens the sixth-year player's season.
- Browns center Austin Reiter suffered a torn ACL in the loss to Washington, coach Hue Jackson said. He is headed to injured reserve after making his first start. Rookie defensive end Carl Nassib (broken hand) is set to return to practice this week, Jackson added, while quarterback Josh McCown and center Cameron Ervingare almost certain to miss the Week 5 game against New England.
- Redskins linebacker Ryan Kerrigan hyper-extended his elbow and is day-to-day, according to coach Jay Gruden.
- Packers tight end Jared Cook won't play Sunday as he continues to recover from a sprained right ankle.
- Texans tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz suffered an MCL sprain on Sunday that could cause him to miss some time, Rapoport reported.