Reed went to Charlotte to see a specialist about his toe injury, Gruden said. The tight end, who was placed on the PUP list last Wednesday, now has no timetable for a return.
Reed is no stranger to the training table. He missed four games last season with a concussion and a shoulder injury. In his four years in the league, he's missed 18 games overall.
Here are other injuries we're tracking this Tuesday during training camps:
- John Harbaugh told reporters Tuesday that tight end Crockett Gillmore ended up needing MCL surgery and that Gilmore will likely be out for the remainder of the season. The 2014 third-round pick has six touchdowns in three seasons. He played in seven games last year, catching eight balls for 71 yards and a score before suffering a serious shoulder injury.
The Ravens have already lost Dennis Pitta and are suddenly looking painfully thin at the tight end spot.
ESPN.com also noted former first-round pick Breshad Perriman "pulled up running a route" and left the field with a trainer. Harbaugh told reporters that Perriman's hamstring tightened up on him during practice.
Offensive lineman Nico Siragusa and wideout Quincy Adeboyejo were both carted off the field with injuries, and Harbaugh did not have an update on either player following practice. Rapoport reported Siragusa, who was a fourth-rounder running with the first-team offense Tuesday, tore his ACL, MCL and PCL.
- Jacksonville Jagaurs running back I'Tavius Mathers was hospitalized after suffering an injury during practice. The team issued the following statement on Mathers' status:
"After RB I'Tavius Mathers was injured during practice and presented neurologic symptoms on the field, the Jaguars medical staff followed protocol for managing the injury. He was spine-boarded on the field, and was completely conscious while being transported via ambulance to receive further evaluation from the hospital and team physicians. The team will provide an update when more information becomes available."
Newton was held out of throwing drills after experiencing soreness during warmups. "It made no sense to have him throw with a sore shoulder," coach Ron Rivera told reporters.
Rivera also announced that left tackle Matt Kalil is dealing with a groin injury.
- Atlanta Falcons rookie defensive end Takkarist McKinley (shoulder) was given the green light to participate in 11-on-11 drills.
- New York Jets running back Matt Forte is day to day with a hamstring tweak, Todd Bowles told reporters.
- Cowboys offensive tackle Tyron Smith sat out practice for the second consecutive day with tightness in his back. Coach Jason Garrett said after practice he was not concerned about Smith's back for the long term, however.
- Rams defensive lineman Dominique Easley suffered what is believed to be a serious knee injury, Rapoport reported, per a source. He has an MRI scheduled for Tuesday night. "Not looking good," one source told Rapoport.