The NFL world could be in for a backup-quarterback duel when the Jacksonville Jaguars host the Tennessee Titanson Thursday night, exclusively on NFL Network.
The Jaguars announced Monday that starting rookie quarterback Blake Bortles will be questionable this week with a mid-foot sprain.
Bortles didn't miss a snap in Sunday's 20-12 loss to the Baltimore Ravens, but he was sacked eight times. The rookie has been sacked 46 times this season, second most in the NFL.
Titans quarterback Jake Locker exited Sunday's game against the Jets with a shoulder injury. The team announced Monday it placed Locker on injured reserve and signed Jordan Palmer due to the rash of injuries at the position. Locker is set to have surgery on his shoulder on Tuesday.
If Bortles can't play, we could see a Charlie Whitehurst versus Chad Henne battle to see who could potentially wind up with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.
Some other injuries we are tracking:
- NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall suffered a mid-foot sprain Sunday, per a source who has spoken to the player. There is no timetable yet for a return, but X-rays were negative.
- Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said that Ryan Lindley would start at quarterback in lieu of Drew Stanton. Arians added that there will be a package for rookie signal-caller Logan Thomas.
- Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carrolltold KIRO-AM that left tackle Russell Okung will be out "a week or so" with a bruised lung.
- Mike McCoy told reports that Chargers linebacker Donald Butler dislocated his left elbow. The team is "exploring" their options, which includes placing Butler on injured reserve.
- Nick Foles (collarbone) has not been cleared to return, per Chip Kelly. The Eagles will roll with Mark Sanchez under center once again.
Rapoport reported that Trent Cole fractured a bone in his hand, per a source close to him. The linebacker is weighing how to proceed, whether he needs surgery or play in a cast.
- Falcons coach Mike Smith said Monday he expects wideout Julio Jones to play in Week 16. Smith also announced cornerback Robert Alford will have wrist surgery and head to injured reserve.
Safety William Moore will continue to receive treatment over the next few days while guard Jon Asamoah is day to day, per Smith.
- The Buccaneers will place defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins and wide receiver Louis Murphy on injured reserve, coach Lovie Smith said.
- Colts coach Chuck Pagano said Monday that an MRI on wide receiver T.Y. Hilton's hamstring came back negative. The coach hopes Hilton can practice on Wednesday or Thursday.
- Bills running back C.J. Spiller is cleared to return to practice and will be activated. The team is uncertain but optimistic about his status for Sunday against the Raiders.
- Browns coach Mike Pettine said cornerback Joe Haden has a bruised shoulder and is considered day-to-day.
- Titans offensive tackle Michael Oher was placed on injured reserve and will have toe surgery Wednesday.
The latest Around The NFL Podcast recaps every Sunday game from Week 15 and discusses all the playoff implications. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.