Maurice Hurst's NFL journey has already been a trying one, and it didn't get any easier with Saturday's news.
The defensive tackle suffered a torn biceps during practice Friday and will likely miss the 2022 season, San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters Saturday.
Hurst made his way to San Francisco in 2021, appearing in just two games for the 49ers after playing in double-digit contests in his first three seasons spent with the Raiders. His career began with a disappointing development that was completely out of his control when a heart condition diagnosis forced him out of the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine and tanked his draft stock from the first round all the way down to Day 3.
Hurst ended up going to the Raiders via a fifth-round pick and ended up assuming a rotational role with the Silver and Black, starting in 17 of 40 games played before the Raiders released him in the 2021 offseason. His in-season arrival in San Francisco saw him do enough to earn a second contract with the 49ers.
That second season in the Bay Area ends before it ever truly began.
- Arizona Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury said quarterback Kyler Murray will not practice Saturday to rest his arm. The Arizona Republic noted that Murray dealt with some right wrist discomfort prior to Friday's practice, but Kingsbury said the rest day was more due to how much Murray has been throwing recently.
- Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Bryan Edwards left Saturday's practice with an apparent arm injury. Head coach Arthur Smith said he did not believe "it was that bad."
- Buffalo Bills safety Micah Hyde is day to day with a hip/glute injury, coach Sean McDermott confirmed to reporters. Hyde suffered the injury in Friday's practice.
- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Isaiah Weston was carted off the practice field Saturday with a knee injury.
- Denver Broncos cornerback K'Waun Williams pulled up during practice and went to the locker room to be evaluated for an apparent leg injury.
- Kansas City Chiefs tight end Jody Fortson left practice Saturday with a quadriceps injury. Chiefs running Jerick McKinnon told reporters Saturday he underwent sports hernia surgery this offseason.
- The Los Angeles Rams placed running back Xavier Jones on injured reserve from the waived/injured list.
- The Arizona Cardinals signed defensive tackles Christian Ringo and Antwaun Woods. The team also waived defensive tackle Matt Dickerson and tight end David Wells.
- The Buffalo Bills announced Saturday the signing of cornerback Jordan Miller. The team also waived defensive back Travon Fuller.
- Detroit Lions tackle Dan Skipper was activated off the non-football illness list and returned to practice. The team also waived linebacker Natrez Patrick.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars waived kicker Andrew Mevis and tight end Naz Bohannon. The team also signed offensive lineman Darryl Williams.
- The New York Jets waived linebacker Javin White.
- The San Francisco 49ers signed defensive tackle Tomasi Laulile.
- The Seattle Seahawks placed guard J.R. Sweezy on the reserve/retired list.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers waived punter Sterling Hofrichter.
- The Washington Commanders signed offensive linemen Rashod Hill and Alex Akingbulu and release offensive lineman Beau Benzschawel.
- The Dallas Cowboys hosted free-agent defensive end Takkarist McKinley on a visit, the team announced Saturday.