The New York Giants plan to play most of their starters in Sunday's preseason finale.
Saquon Barkley will not be included in that number.
Giants coach Joe Judge told reporters Friday that the star running back will not play when New York hosts the Patriots, officially closing the door on the possibility of Barkley seeing game action prior to the regular season.
Judge also revealed that Barkley's status for Week 1 against the Broncos has yet to be determined.
As has been the case since the start of training camp, the Giants' top priority is to ensure Barkley is right without rushing him back. Friday's news is another indication that there's still some hurdles to overcome.
August has been a month of baby steps for Barkley as he continues to work his back from a torn ACL. After coming off the PUP list on Aug. 9, Barkley joined his team for the first time in 7-on-7 drills (while wearing a red, non-contact jersey) eight days later. This past week, he participated in the Giants' joint practices with the Patriots.
It's been encouraging to see the strides Barkley has made but there are still several question marks surrounding his health. How he progresses over the next two weeks will determine whether or not Big Blue will see Saquon in action to kick off the season.
In other roster news, receiver Kenny Golladay (hamstring) and tight end Kyle Rudolph (foot), who recently re-joined the team, will also not play Sunday. Golladay -- N.Y.'s big-money addition in free agency -- has been dealing with his injury for the past few weeks.
- The Dallas Cowboys restructured running back Ezekiel Elliott's contract to create cap space. They're also trying out defensive end Breeland Speaks, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported, per the wire.
- The Philadelphia Eagles plan to once again rest most, if not all, of their starters in their preseason finale against the Jets, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported. Garafolo cited the Eagles seem happy with the work they got in during their "hot, humid, physical joint practices" with the Jets this week; the club also rested most of their starters last week against the Patriots.
- Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski told reporters that select starters -- including Baker Mayfield -- would play in Sunday's preseason finale against the Falcons.
- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay announced that quarterback Jacob Eason would start in tonight's preseason finale against the Detroit Lions.
- Saturday's Arizona Cardinals-New Orleans Saints preseason game has been canceled due to the impending impact of Hurricane Ida.
- Indianapolis Colts rookie quarterback Sam Ehlinger was ruled out of Friday's game against the Detroit Lions after suffering a knee injury.
- Detroit Lions offensive tackle Dan Skipper was carted off the field with an apparent injury.
- Minnesota Vikings linebacker Troy Dye exited early against the Chiefs with a leg injury.
- New York Jets cornerback Brandin Echols was ruled out of Friday's game against the Eagles with a shoulder injury.
- Carolina Panthers wide receiver Shi Smith was ruled out against the Steelers with a shoulder injury.
- Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Josiah Scott suffered a hamstring injury versus the Jets and did not return.
- Dallas Cowboys safety Malik Hooker has been activated from the reserve/COVID-19 list and is now eligible to return to practice.
- The Buffalo Bills activated defensive tackles Vernon Butler and Star Lotulelei, and receivers Cole Beasley and Gabriel Davis from the reserve/COVID-19 list. The Bills placed DT Treyvon Hester on injured reserve.
- The Tennessee Titans activated defensive lineman Anthony Rush from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars placed offensive lineman A.J. Cann on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said wide receiver Richie James will have knee surgery and miss six weeks.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers placed guards Earl Watford and Nick Leverett on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The New Orleans Saints placed defensive back Bryce Thompson on injured reserve.
- The Buffalo Bills released receiver Rico Gafford and defensive tackle Joey Ivie.
- The Carolina Panthers waived safety Brian Cole.
- The San Francisco 49ers released safety Kai Nacua.
- The Green Bay Packers waived quarterback Jake Dolegala and removed wide receiver Devin Funchess from injured reserve with an injury settlement.
- The New Orleans Saints waived fullback Sutton Smith.
- The New England Patriots waived tight end Kahale Warring.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers released defensive back Raven Greene from injured reserve with an injury settlement.