A former All-Pro and Pro Bowl talent is headed to Jacksonville.
Receiver Pharoh Cooper, who once earned those superlatives as a return specialist for the Rams, is signing with the Jaguars, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday. The team later announced the move.
Cooper, 26, spent the 2020 season with the Panthers where he again served primarily on special teams. He tallied a career-low five receptions for 73 yards but returned 18 kickoffs for 430 yards and 20 punts for 117 yards.
The 2016 fourth-rounder didn't take long to make a name for himself with a sensational second season. During his first game as the primary return man, Cooper scored his first touchdown on a 103-yard kick return -- ironically against the Jags in Week 6 -- and was named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week.
Cooper went on to accumulate 34 kickoff returns for 932 yards, 32 punt returns for 399 yards and 11 receptions for 84 yards. He was named a Pro Bowl starter, as well as a first-team All-Pro returner.
An ankle injury in Week 1 of the 2018 season limited Cooper to five games before he was eventually released that December. Cooper appeared in 16 total games over the next season and a half, 15 of which came across two runs with the Cardinals and the other in a brief stint with the Bengals.
In other roster news, the Jags placed WR Terry Godwin on the injured reserve list.
Elsewhere around the NFL on Thursday:
- Lions coach Dan Campbell said the team maintains interest in free-agent running back Todd Gurley, who visited with Detroit last week, but there's not a definitive timetable for possibly signing him. "But I would say this: Just because we have interest in him, that does not affect our feeling and our thoughts on both (D'Andre) Swift and Jamaal (Williams)," Campbell added.
Detroit Lions defensive end Jashon Cornell, a 2020 seventh-round draft pick, has been suspended without pay for the first three games of the 2021 regular season for violation of the NFL Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse, the team announced Thursday via a statement from a league spokesperson. Cornell can take part in offseason and preseason practices and games.
The Lions waived defensive tackle John Atkins and fullback Nick Bawden.
- The New York Giants agreed to terms with first-round receiver Kadarius Toney on his four-year, $13,719,508 fully guaranteed rookie deal, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported.
- The Buffalo Bills agreed to terms with first-round defensive end Gregory Rousseau. The four-year deal includes a total guarantee of $11,367,075, Rapoport reported via Rousseau's agents.
- The Ravens are signing wide receiver Devin Gray to a one-year deal, per Rapoport. He spent three seasons on the Falcons practice squad. The team later announced the signing. Baltimore also released defensive tackle Braxton Hoyett.
- The Las Vegas Raiders re-signed offensive lineman Sam Young, Rapoport reported, per his agent Drew Rosenhaus. Young, 33, played in 11 games (seven starts) in 2020. The Raiders announced the signings of tight end Alex Ellis and safety Roderic Teamer; the team also released offensive lineman Erik Magnuson and waived tight end Carson Williams.
- The Minnesota Vikings have signed cornerback Tye Smith.
- The Tennessee Titans signed defensive tackles Trevon Coley and @Aubrey Jones and waived defensive tackles Dylan Mack and Jullian Taylor.
- The Arizona Cardinals signed veteran cornerback Darqueze Dennard and waived/injured receiver Krishawn Hogan. Dennard, 29, played for the Falcons in 2020.
- The Washington Football Team waived tight end Dylan Cantrell with an injury designation.
- The 49ers are scheduled to work out wide receiver/tight end Jevon Cottoy next week, per Pelissero. The 6-5, 230-pound receiver previously worked out for the Texans, Raiders, Patriots and Saints, and he caught 38 passes for the CFL's BC Lions in 2019. San Francisco also made its signing of tight end MyCole Pruitt official.
- The Kansas City Chiefs released linebacker Kamalei Correa.
- The Los Angeles Rams signed fourth-round defensive tackle Bobby Brown.
- The Chicago Bears signed five members of their 2021 draft class: fifth-round offensive tackle Larry Borom, sixth-round defensive back Thomas Graham, sixth-round running back Khalil Herbert, sixth-round wide receiver Dazz Newsome and seventh-round defensive tackle Khyiris Tonga.
- The Philadelphia Eagles signed first-round pick DeVonta Smith. The team also announced the signings of three other draft picks: Defensive tackle Milton Williams (third round), cornerback Zech McPhearson (fourth round), and running back Kenneth Gainwell (fifth round).