The back-and-forth between the Cincinnati Bengals and pass rusher Trey Hendrickson continues to be played through the media.
Following Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn's comments at the NFL's Annual League Meeting on Tuesday, in which she said Hendrickson "should be happy at certain rates that maybe he doesn't think he'd be happy at," the pass rusher joined The Pat McAfee Show on Wednesday to express his displeasure.
"That was a little disappointing because communication has been poor over the last couple of months," Hendrickson said. "That's something that I hold in high regard. They have not communicated with my agent directly. It's been something that's been a little bit frustrating, but again, this is the business of it. I'm incredibly blessed to be in the NFL, and I'm excited to be a Bengal, right?"
Hendrickson, who is set to make $15.8 million on the final year of his current deal, said he was assured the past several seasons that the club would address the issues he had with his contract, including long-term security, which the team has yet to reciprocate.
"To have a year that I have remaining on my contract ... we can get into that real quick," he said. "Last year and the year before I've been talking about long-term contract, guaranteed money, things like that. It was discussed with me in a meeting, which I'm very fortunate to have had with my agent, that we would get something done this year. So that being said, last year, 'Go out and play, play at the level you have, we'll get it done' -- that was communicated with me. So basically, this year, it's going to get worked on. They also reiterated that at the combine. So that just kind of clears the air on that. Moving forward, the happiness of my camp ... [the Bengals] are more than welcome to call me. I've had my cell phone, same cell phone number since high school, open line of communication is always open with me and my agents. So if they have anything they'd like to discuss, we've been nothing but willing to listen."
All Hendrickson did last year was lead the league with 17.5 sacks, his second-consecutive season hitting that mark, and make his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl.
The 30-year-old said there are aspects of a new deal that he's not willing to change his mind on, mainly the length of the agreement and guarantees while noting that he still has "mutual respect" for the organization and head coach Zac Taylor.
"Full transparency, I'm not going to go into all the details, I think there are things that I'm willing to do and not willing to budge on," Hendrickson told McAfee on Wednesday. "I don't think I want to play for incentives that will be out of my control. I don't think I want to play for a short-term contract and see where it goes. I would like to tell my wife here is where we're going to live, here's where we're going to build a family together. Some of those things come from what I've been able to do on a football field. I like that to do the talking for me."
Hendrickson wanted to clarify that he's not fretting about being behind Ja'Marr Chase and Tee Higgins in the extension priority. He just wants to know that the Bengals are willing to commit.
"When I say [communication's] been poor, it's been like here and there," he said. "Respect to Ja'Marr and Tee. I don't want to take anything away from all the great things they've accomplished in their careers, they deserve everything that they've gotten, and (there's) no doubt in my mind they're going to excel in the National Football League. I have a tremendous respect for both of them, but when it comes to my situation, it would have been nice to know in some ways like, 'Hey, we're going to put you in the queue.' No problem with me. My wife and I try to be as humble as possible as Christ-loving people. So we don't have any desires of being highest-paid or first in line. We try to be as patient as possible."
The Bengals allowed Hendrickson to seek a trade earlier this offseason, partly so he could see how the rest of the NFL valued him in hopes of striking a deal. The inability of the sides to come to an agreement or trade suggests either no one is willing to meet Hendrickson's contract price, or they're not willing to meet Cincy's trade demands -- or both.
With OTAs opening later this month and the 2025 NFL Draft approaching on April 24, Hendrickson's situation will become more pronounced, particularly if both sides continue to chatter in open spaces.