Joe Schobert is headed west for another opportunity to continue his NFL career.
The linebacker has signed with the Denver Broncos, the team announced Monday.
Schobert's signing follows an unfortunate elbow injury to rising youngster Jonas Griffith, who entered Denver's first preseason game as the Broncos' penciled-in starter alongside Josey Jewell. An undrafted free agent out of Indiana State, Griffith initially made his way to Denver in 2021 as a special teams contributor who impressed the Broncos enough to earn a second year and the opportunity to compete for a starting job.
Instead, the Broncos will look toward a group of replacements that will now include Schobert, a six-year veteran who tied for the league lead in tackles in 2017 while with the Browns before moving to Jacksonville in 2020 and Pittsburgh in 2021.
On the bright side, some good news came from Denver on Monday. Prized offseason acquisition Randy Gregory and offensive lineman Billy Turner have been activated off the physically unable to perform list. Gregory is expected to be ready for the 2022 season, NFL Network's James Palmer reported Monday.
- CB Marcus Peters (knee) has returned to practice after being activated off the physically unable to perform list. Peters missed all of last season after sustaining a torn ACL in Sept. 2021.
- C Ben Brown (triceps) placed on injured reserve.
- CB Denzel Ward (foot) was activated from the physically unable to perform list.
- Center Dawson Deaton suffered a torn ACL at Monday's practice, NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported. Deaton's injury comes days after the team lost starting center Nick Harris for the season. Deaton is a seventh-round rookie.
- RB Melvin Gordon (foot) returned to practice.
- OG Netane Muti underwent a procedure on his knee and will be out a couple more weeks, per coach Nathaniel Hackett.
- Activated WR Mike Strachan (knee) from the physically unable to perform list.
- QB Matthew Stafford (elbow) was a full participant in practice Monday and will be on Tuesday, as well, for the team's intrasquad scrimmage, coach Sean McVay said.
- RBs Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson are each dealing with soft-tissue injuries and will not practice until they can go full speed, coach Sean McVay said.
- QB Zach Wilson will undergo knee surgery on Tuesday, Aug. 16 in Los Angeles, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source. Diagnosed with a bone bruise and torn meniscus, Wilson's recovery timeline will be better determined following surgery.
- DT Quinnen Williams is dealing with an ankle injury, but head coach Robert Saleh doesn't think it's serious.
- DB Jimmie Ward is dealing with a hamstring injury, per head coach Kyle Shanahan. Ward's injury is serious enough that his status for the regular-season opener is in doubt.
- RB Kenjon Barner (ankle) was placed in injured reserve.
- OT Cornelius Lucas passed his physical and has been activated from the physically unable to perform list.
- WR Cody Alexander (shoulder) placed on injured reserve.
- Released RB Corey Clement
- Released DB Robert Jackson
- Waived WR Derrick Dillon.
- Waived DL Carson Taylor.
- Waived/injured OL Ben Braden.
- TE Nolan Givan waived.
- C Ryan McCollum waived.
- TE Garrett Griffin released.
- Claimed TE Nate Becker off waivers from Panthers.
- Released C Cole Schneider.
- Released CB Donte Vaughn.
- Released WR Chad Beebe
- Released DE Jordan Jenkins
- Waived QB Jake Luton.
- Waived RB Matt Colburn.
- Waived WR Ryan McDaniel.
- Waived LB Wyatt Ray.
- Waived/injured K Elliot Fry.
- Signed DT Niles Scott.
- Signed CB Mackensie Alexander.
- Signed LB Jon Bostic
- Signed DT Jaleel Johnson
- Signed DE Niko Lalos
- Claimed CB Olaijah Griffin, who was waived by Bills, NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported.
- Officially signed OT Duane Brown. NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero previously reported the signing on Aug. 11 following the season-ending knee injury of Mekhi Becton. Brown's two-year deal with the Jets is worth up to $22 million, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.
- Released WR Keshunn Abram.
- Signed NT Danny Shelton.
- Waived WR Omar Bayless.
- Waived WR Gary Jennings.
- Waived OT Evin Ksiezarczyk.
- Waived CB Lonnie Johnson Jr.
- Signed LB Jon Bostic.
- Signed DE Niko Lalos.
- Re-signed DT Jaleel Johnson.
- Waived WR Easop Winston Jr.
- Waived DL T.J. Carter.
- Waived DE Scott Patchan.
- Waived/injured DB Jordan Brown.
- Waived/injured DB Isaiah Pryor.
- Waived DB Jack Koerner.
- Waived K John Parker Romo.
- Released CB Darqueze Dennard.
- Waived FB Josh Hokit.
- Waived WR KeeSean Johnson.
- Waived DL Tomasi Laulile.
- Waived WR Deontez Alexander.
- Waived OG Eric Wilson.
- Waived DT Antonio Valentino.
- Waived CB Josh Valentine-Turner.
- RB Patrick Laird signed.
- DE Carl Nassib signed to one-year deal, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.
- WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, a former second-round pick, has been sent to the Eagles, NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero reports.
- DB Ugo Amadi
NFL+ gives you the freedom to watch LIVE out-of-market preseason games, LIVE local and prime-time regular-season and postseason games on your phone or tablet, the best NFL programming on-demand and more! Wherever you are, this is how you football! Learn more about NFL+.