Justin Fields is headed back to work.
The rookie quarterback will return to practice Thursday following some time off due to a groin injury, Chicago Bears coach Matt Nagy told reporters. The team will be cautious with Fields' reps, but Nagy said he anticipates Fields will play in the Bears' preseason game against Buffalo this Saturday.
Projected starter Andy Dalton will play "at least a quarter and a half", Nagy said, meaning it will likely be the most Dalton plays in a preseason game in 2021 if conventional playing time standards hold true with one less preseason game.
Meanwhile, with rookie left tackle Teven Jenkins out due to back surgery, the Bears have to sort out what they'll do at the position. Nagy said it will come down to a competition between veterans Jason Peters -- who will practice for the first time as a Bear Thursday -- and Elijah Wilkinson, and rookie Larry Borom. Nagy seems especially high on Borom, adding "we cannot believe this guy fell to the fifth round."
- Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts was ruled out shortly after Thursday's kickoff against the Patriots and sent to the hospital with a stomach illness. It is not COVID-19 related, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported. Eagles coach Nick Sirianni said afterward that Hurts is "going to be OK." Joe Flacco started in Hurts' place. Kicker Jake Elliott did not play because of an ankle injury. Tight end Jason Croom was carted off the field in the first half with an air cast placed on his right leg. The Eagles ruled Croom out with a knee injury. Safety K'Von Wallace exited with a groin injury and did not return.
- Green Bay Packers quarterback Jordan Love (shoulder) is "unlikely" to play Saturday versus the Jets, according to coach Matt LaFleur. Kurt Benkert will get the start.
- Miami Dolphins linebacker Elandon Roberts and wide receiver Preston Williams have been activated from the PUP list and both will practice on Thursday.
- San Francisco 49ers tackle Trent Williams had his knee drained and will sit out the rest of the week, coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters. Wide receiver Jalen Hurd has been shut down for this entire week due to knee tendinitis related to his torn ACL, Shanahan said. The hope is Hurd can play in the final preseason game versus the Raiders.
- Carolina Panthers wide receiver D.J. Moore's back stiffened up Thursday, forcing him out of practice despite wanting to continue. Pass rusher Brian Burns was seen on the sidelines with his shoulder wrapped up.
- New York Jets pass rusher Carl Lawson was carted off the practice field Thursday with a lower left leg injury and will undergo an MRI on his Achilles, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Garafolo report. The team announced Lawson would miss the entire season. Rookie safety Zane Lewis was also carted off during today's practice, suffering a torn patella tendon and sprained ACL, sources tell Rapoport. Lewis will also miss the entire season, the Jets announced. Defensive tackle Quinnen Williams (foot) will make a brief debut in 11-on-11 drills Thursday, per coach Robert Saleh. Rookie guard Alijah Vera-Tucker (pec) is still limited to individual drills while rookie cornerback Jason Pinnock (bruised knee) will be back soon.
- Detroit Lions running back D'Andre Swift (groin) returned to team drills for the first time in over a week, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports. Jamaal Williams has taken advantage of Swift's absence and stands as the lead RB for now, according to Pelissero, but the hope is to incorporate them as a featured 1-2 punch. The Lions activated defensive tackle Nick Williams from the reserve/COVID list.
- Tennessee Titans coach Mike Vrabel had no update for A.J. Brown, saying the wideout was just unavailable. The Titans placed offensive lineman Brent Qvale on injured reserve.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars activated safety Daniel Thomas form the reserve/COVID list.
- The Buffalo Bills activated linebacker Marquel Lee from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The Arizona Cardinals placed defensive tackle Jordan Phillips on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The New Orleans Saints placed defensive back Adonis Alexander and guard Michael Brown on injured reserve.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers placed defensive back Raven Greene on injured reserve.
- The Detroit Lions waived tight end Hunter Thedford.
- The Cleveland Browns terminated defensive lineman Damion Square's contract.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars waived cornerback Luq Barcoo and terminated defensive tackle Daniel Ross' contract.
- The Buffalo Bills waived guard Steven Gonzalez.
- The Carolina Panthers waived wide receiver Micah Simon.
- The Dallas Cowboys waived punter Hunter Niswander.
- The Denver Broncos waived defensive tackle Deyon Sizer.
- The Houston Texans waived running back Dontrell Hilliard.
- The Green Bay Packers waived defensive back Stanford Samuels.
- The New Orleans Saints waived wide receiver Jake Lampman and defensive back Lawrence Woods.