Another potential starter on the Jaguars defense isn't available for the 2020 season.
Jacksonville announced Thursday that cornerback Rashaan Melvin voluntarily opted out. The move came just a few hours before the 4 p.m. ET deadline.
The Jags signed the veteran DB to a one-year deal in April, presumably to compete for the starting left corner job with Tre Herndon. Melvin started for the Lions, Raiders and Colts over the past three seasons. Last week, DT Al Woods, another 2020 free-agent acquisition for Jacksonville, announced he was opting out because of COVID-19 concerns. Jags special teamer Lerentee McCray opted out earlier this week as well.
The list around the league now exceeds 60 players.
Here are other Thursday developments:
- The Miami Dolphins have waived cornerback Javaris Davis (non-football injury), activated running back Malcolm Perry and defensive end Zach Sieler off the reserve/COVID-19 list and added defensive end Raekwon Davis, nose tackle Benito Jones, safety Brandon Jones, guard Solomon Kindley, defensive end Shaq Lawson and receiver Kirk Merritt to the reserve/COVID-19 list. The Dolphins are also hosting veteran wideouts Ricardo Louis and Chester Rogers, per NFL Network's Mike Garafolo. Louis, who was released last month, was with the team last year and again this offseason.
- Kansas City Chiefs rookie offensive tackle Lucas Niang opted out, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported. Kansas City drafted Niang in the third round.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive tackle Brad Seaton opted out and qualifies for the higher-risk stipend, per Pelissero. The team also activated running backs Raymond Calais and Aca'Cedric Ware off the reserve/COVID-19 list, per the league's transaction wire. Ware was subsequently waived, along with defensive back M.J. Stewart, according to the team.
- The Cleveland Browns announced they have placed guard Malcolm Pridgeon on the reserve/opt-out list, making him the fifth player added from the team.
- New York Jets receiver Josh Doctson has opted out of the season, the team announced.
- Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Maxx Crosby and running back Rod Smith have been added to the reserve/COVID-19 list, per the wire. The team also announced the signing of linebacker Bryce Hager; he spent the last five seasons with the Rams.
- A couple veterans were brought in for visits as safety J.J. Wilcox met with the Atlanta Falcons and the Houston Texans hosted linebacker Brandon Marshall, according to Garafolo. He added the visits could possibly result in signings following COVID-19 testing. Neither has played since 2018 when Wilcox spent time with the Colts and Jets and Marshall played in 11 games for the Broncos. Pelissero later reported that Wilcox is expected sign with Atlanta pending COVID-19 testing and a physical, per an informed source.
- The Minnesota Vikings are expected to sign linebacker Quentin Poling, pending COVID-19 testing and a physical, Pelissero reported per an informed source. The team activated defensive tackle Armon Watts off the reserve/COVID-19 list and waived receiver Bralon Addison, per the wire.
- The New York Giants announced they have waived rookie linebacker Dominique Ross.
- The Baltimore Ravens have placed tight end Jacob Breeland on the reserve list (non-football injury).
- The Buffalo Bills have activated defensive back Dane Jackson from the reserve/COVID-19 list and waived DB Garrett Taylor, running back Antonio Williams and defensive end Jonathan Woodard.
- The Cincinnati Bengals have active defensive end Kendall Futrell from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The Seattle Seahawks have resigned defensive end Branden Jackson. The team released him last month after he initially signed as a restricted free agent in April. Jackson, 27, played in 15 games (three starts) in 2019 and accumulated two sacks, 20 tackles and two passes defensed.
- The New Orleans Saints have placed linebacker Kaden Elliss and long snapper Zach Wood on the reserve/COVID-19 list, per the wire.