Free agents George Iloka and T.J. McDonald have a shot to earn a roster spot in ATL, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported, per sources.
Iloka was released just last month by the Cowboys. The eighth-year veteran appeared in all 16 games for the Vikings in 2018 but recorded just 16 tackles as a reserve. McDonald was released by the Dolphins in August after recording a career-high three interceptions for Miami last season. Either player would have big shoes to fill after Neal tore his Achilles this past Sunday against the Colts. The team officially placed Neal on injured reserve Tuesday.
Atlanta was in a similar spot a year ago when Neal tore his ACL in the season opener. Damontae Kazee took over for the 2017 Pro Bowler and tied for the NFL lead with seven interceptions. Kazee has been playing nickel during the first three games of this season.
Perhaps a move back to safety is in the cards.
Here is other news we're tracking Tuesday:
- An MRI confirmed Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Chad Beebe tore ligaments in his ankle, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported, per a source. There is no surgery planned for now but Beebe will be re-evaluated in a week, Pelissero added.
The Vikings re-signed receiver Laquon Treadwell following Beebe's injury, per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Pelissero.
Receiver DeSean Jackson (abdomen) did not practice is a "little further away" and probably won't be ready for "TNF," per coach Doug Pederson. Cornerback Ronald Darby (hamstring) also did not practice, while pass rusher Derek Barnett (ankle) and running back Corey Clement were limited.
- The Detroit Lions are working out a slew of defensive lineman Tuesday, including Zach Kerr, Pelissero reports.
- Pelissero reports free-agent wide receiver Quincy Adeboyejo is visiting the Buffalo Bills on Tuesday. Buffalo elevated defensive tackle Kyle Peko to the active roster Tuesday to replace the injured Harrison Phillips, who was placed on injured reserve.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are putting quarterback Blaine Gabbert on injured reserve, per Pelissero. Gabbert had been dealing with a shoulder injury sustained during the preseason, and Ryan Griffin has been serving as Jameis' Winston's backup. The Bucs worked out quarterbacks Phillip Walker and Taryn Christion Tuesday but have no plans to add an additional arm at this time, Pelissero added.
- The San Francisco 49ers announced on Tuesday they've inked long snapper Garrison Sanborn to a one-year deal.